Culberson County, Texas Genealogy & History

Culberson County Courthouses

The Old Courthouse 

In May 1912 the Culberson County commissioners awarded a contract for construction of a county courthouse to E. E. Churchill of Fort Worth. Clad in locally-quarried sandstone and designed in a vaguely Italian Renaissance style, the courthouse was completed in 1914, at a total cost of $44,335, and immediately became the political and social center of Culberson County life. The balcony over the main entrance, at the rear of the courtroom, provided an ideal place for the residents of Van Horn to watch one another and await their principal daily excitement, the arrival of the afternoon train. The courthouse, which received a medallion from the Texas Historical Commission in 1962, was used until 1965.  Source:  Handbook of Texas Online: VanHorn.  This courthouse was razed in 1967.   Photograph of the Courthouse During Demolition from The Portal to Texas History.

Information on the 1912 Courthouse from the Texas Historic Sites Atlas & from Texas Escapes.

Historical marker on the Old Courthouse

The New Courthouse

In 1964, construction began on a new courthouse for Culberson County.  This modern-style building designed by Architectural Firm Pierce, Norris, Pace & Associates opened in 1964.

Photo of the New Courthouse from Texas Escapes and TexasCourthouses.com.

Photo of the World War II Memorial Marker in front of the New Courthouse from The Portal to Texas History